It is obvious my son isn't going to get much outdoor time at school; so, I am extremely committed to spending some time after school or in the evening outdoors. The easiest way for us to do this is to visit local parks/playgrounds or play in our own yard. But honestly my kids get a little board sometimes if there aren't other kids to play with. So I have to come up with activities that keep them interested in being outdoors and aren't much work for me. Here are a few of our favorites, so far.
2) Race toy cars down the slides.
5) Have a water gun fight. Easier than all the clean-up from water balloons, not as much work as going to the pool and more environmentally friendly.
bird watch. Some of the time birds are close enough to see without binoculars.
9) Bring sidewalk chalk for tic-tac-toe or hop scotch.
10) Bubbles - you can never go wrong with bubbles!
11) Color hunt - pick a color & find as many items in that color as you can.
12) Have a pizza picnic - order your favorite pizza & eat it at a park.
spring, winter, summer, or fall. Help your kids notice how the trees changes with the seasons.
Pick up trash - may not be extremely fun but it teaches respect & responsibility. We always leave a place cleaner than we find it.
15) ABC game - find letters around the park; both on signs and shapes in the playground equipment.
16) Catch and release fireflies or butterflies.
sun catchers or bookmarks.
19) Read a book.
Make nature bracelets. We used duct tape and it held most of the items my kids collected.
Bonus - Play nature bingo. This is really cute.
What are you favorite activities while at the park?