and perfect for using your favorite mini cookie cutters. They also store easily in the fridge and are a cool snack for these hot summer days.
Homemade Fruit Snacksadapted from Pounds4Pennies and Hip2Save
Ingredients2/3 cup orange juice
2/3 cup fruit puree* (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, peach, etc.)
3 packets of gelatin
2-6 tbsp honey (to your taste)
- Whisk all ingredients together in a small sauce pan.
- Place over medium heat and whisk continuously until mixture barely starts to bubble around the edges. Don't allow the mixture to come to a full boil.
- Pour mixture into a 8x8 pan and place in refrigerator until completely chilled.
- Remove from refrigerator and run knife around the edge of the pan to loosen the gelled mixture. Turn the pan over and empty onto a cutting board. I had to use a spatula to coax the snacks onto the cutting board.
- Use a knife or mini cookies cutters to cut the snacks into bite size pieces. We used our camping themed mini cookie cutters.
- Store fruit snacks in an air tight container in the fridge. They will last up to a week but ours only lasted 1 day.
*To make puree, blend fruit in a blender or in a food processor. Some recipes called for the seeds to be strained out of the puree, others did not. I preferred the seeds removed. To remove the seeds, push puree through a fine mesh strainer using the back of a spoon. This takes a little time and patients but I feel it is worth the effort.
Have you tried making homemade fruit snacks? What are your favorite fruits to use?