As a motivator for myself, and hopefully for you, I pulled together a few of our favorite ideas for free, fun and unique outdoor activities for families. Most of them can be done in any season. Enjoy!
- Learn to track wildlife. If you need a book, check out your local library.
- Have a picnic and read a book. Even in the snow or with your teddy bear.
- Climb a tree - check out this fun list of benefits.
- Explore your backyard at night.
- Preserve a spider's web.
- Blow bubbles in the winter or make your own.
- Create lawn pictures using a compass. Great for teaching survival skills.
- Discover patterns in nature and take pictures.
- Play with sticks, then make crafts.
- Free admission to National Parks days.
- Search for mushrooms.
- Find animals in the clouds.
- Make tree faces.
- Play What's Under the Rock? Talk to your kids about where the bugs & animals are in the winter.
- Chase fireflies.
- Play backyard twister.
- Make a butterfly feeder.
- Make a recycled soda bottle water sprinkler.
- Get involved with bee research. This one isn't free but it only requires you to by seeds and is a really good cause to get involved with. Winter is a good time to plan.
- Rain painting - put drops of food coloring on white paper and let it rain.
What are your favorite free outdoor activities?