So, in honor of cooler weather (and hopefully lots of outdoor activities with the family) I wanted to share my absolute favorite homemade hot chocolate mix to date.
Adapted from King Arthur Flour Monster Hot Chocolate Mix
1 cup of granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups of 60% cocoa chocolate chips
heaping 1/4 cup of milk chocolate chips
1/2 cup of cocoa powder
1) Combine sugar and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until well combined.
2) Add chocolate chips to the food processor and pulse until finely ground and combined with the vanilla sugar.
3) Add cocoa powder and pulse until everything is well combined and is the consistency of brown sugar (mine usually has a few bigger chunks of chocolate, but they just make sipping more enjoyable).
4) To make hot chocolate, mix 1/4 cup of mix with 1 cup of HOT milk. Let it sit for a minute and sir again. This just helps ensure all the chocolate is melted and dispersed through the milk.
The mix can be stored in an air tight container for 6 to 9 months. Mine never lasts that long.
- You can use block chocolate that is coarsely chopped instead of chips.
- Adjust type of chocolate according to your taste. I love dark chocolate so I used more. You can always use more milk or semi-sweet if those are your favorite.
- The higher the quality of chocolate that better the mix. I use Ghirardelli chocolate chips and Hershey's' cocoa powder.
What is your favorite camping or outdoor drink for cooler weather?