The backpack carrier we invested in was the Osprey Poco Premium Child Carrier.
- Pack is very comfortable; both for my daughter and me.
- The sun shade provides a lot of protection and is extremely easy to setup.
- Lots of storage for carrying kid supplies.
- Pockets in the shoulder and waist straps.
- The child harness clips over the shoulders (as opposed to the clip being at the stomach).
- Expensive and I haven't found them on sale.
- Like most carriers with a frame, they are bulky.
Why worth the investment:
- Without it, our families outdoor fun was severely limited. We could only do things accessible with a stroller.
- It keeps me sane. I have had it for 2 weeks and have taken the kids hiking six times.
Frugal Tip: I have not ever seen this piece of equipment go on sale. Granted I have only been watching it for about 5 months. When I bought the pack I signed up for the Eastern Mountain Sports rewards program and received 15% off my first purchase. Makes a difference on a relatively large purchase, at least by my standards.